Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

The mother of my 14 year old daughter wants to leave Ontario

Customer Question

The mother of my 14 year old daughter wants to leave Ontario and move to Quebec. We were never married and have no custody agreement on paper. We have never had to go to court and I pay child support monthly. Am I able to legally prohibit her from moving that far away? Is there distance restrictions she must abide by?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The mother needs your permission or a court order to move the child out of jurisdiction. She cannot remove her and take her to another province without the order or your consent.

She will have to prove to the court that moving that child away from you is in the child's best interest. This will be difficult to do since you are seeing your daughter regularly.

I suggest you tell her that you Forget her from moving the child and she should get a court order.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Much appreciated thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You're very welcome.