Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My son is a UC engineering faculty full-time student. He was

Customer Question

Good afternoon,
My son is a UC engineering faculty full-time student. He was born in Nov 12, 1996, He lives with me 90% of time. My ex has a Separation Agreement indicates Child Support should be paid to my son is financially independent. And Child Support hasn't be paid since last year.
How do I pursue the payment.
Kind regards
Jane
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Do you mean that the agreement states that child support should be paid so long as your son is financially dependent?

Why did you wait a year to pursue this?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I though my son was 18 last year. I copied the legal document from BC court, I re-read find out exactly wording on the doc. English is my second language. The document was crafted 2007, I was in Canada just 2 years. limited by my language skill, memorizing all the details in the document was overwhelming...
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

You are entitled to receive child support for your son so long as he remains financially dependent because of full time attendance at school so long as he continues to live with you. For this reason, you should apply to the court to enforce the agreement for child support.

The other parent should be paying child support to you and as well should be contributing to your son's tuition and related school expenses.

He should have to pay you for last year and going forward as well.