Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

What expenses are included in Child Support payments in the

Customer Question

What expenses are included in Child Support payments in the province of Quebec and what expenses are considered extra? If you have links to detailed justice of Quebec pages that would be great.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

This is a federal issue actually.

Extraordinary expenses are things like child care expenses, dental and orthodontic expenses, extra-curricular activities at times, private school fees where applicable and appropriate, post-secondary school fees and related fees such as room and board if away at school during the school year.

Every day expenses such as food, clothing, toys, books, entertainment etc get paid out of child support payments.

This is on Ontario website but it is clear and as I've said this is a federal and not provincial issue:

http://lukesplace.ca/resources/what-are-some-examples-of-extraordinary-expenses-for-the-purposes-of-calculating-child-support/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter has dance, and it costs about 1000$/year, would this be considered extraordinary expenses?
What about University books (about 400$)?
What about driving courses (1000$)?My ex makes 100,000$/year and I make 28,000$. I already give her 210$/month and now she wants me to pay for these extraordinary expenses?She also said that she wants me to pay retroactively for the past 3 years. Can she do this?Thanks
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

The three years is not likely how far a court would go back in a case like this. It doesn't make sense.

Yes dance classes and university books and a driving course would be extraordinary expenses.

You would pay 28/128 or 22% of these expenses in most cases.

But as your income is very low you can argue undue hardship and say you cannot afford luxuries such as dance classes. As well there are driving schools that charge 1/3 of that cost.