Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I am separated with my husband and we have a child 8 y.o. My

Customer Question

Hello, i am separated with my husband and we have a child 8 y.o.
My ex is going to move to US to live with his new girlfriend.The irony is: his new girlfriend has exact spelling of first and last name as mine. my concern is: how can i protect my child who has her father's last name from not authorized by me travels? just simply sign any paper with her id...
thank you.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

If the father tried to take the child out of the jurisdiction this would be considered to be parental abduction unless you have given your consent or there is a court order.

There are several steps you can take to try to prevent this. First, hold on to your child's passport. Next, you can contact Canada Border Services and make a report indicating that you have some concern that the father may attempt to abduct your child. Finally, you can obtain a court order granting you sole custody of the child and also stating that the father cannot remove the child from the jurisdiction without your consent, and this order can be made police enforceable.