Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

Basically what I need is to get more insight on the civil

Customer Question

Basically what I need is to get more insight on the civil and religious marriage ( Muslim one) in Canada. I am christian Canadian and she is a Muslim Syrian. I know for a fact that the civil one is the only one based on legal foundation. I need to know
what the religious one entails: - Is it considered legal? - do I have to register it at the government or can I just keep it between me and her? - What kind of documents, if any, will the sheikh provide me? Are they considered legal and can someone use them
against me in the future? - What documentation/ requirements do I need to do the religious marriage? I know for a fact that as a Canadian i have no documents whatsoever proving what religion i belong to. To sum things up habibi, I want to do the civil marriage
and register it legally. On top of that I want to do the religious Muslim one just so that she can feel she had a blessed marriage. I will basically tell the sheikh that I am Muslim but I don't want any legal paperwork saying that I converted. This way I will
marry her while staying Christian but at the same time she will feel that she got a blessed marriage.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
No one else is interested in taking this question I can see. Do you want to ask me something further? If not that's OK of course. I just feel badly that you are sitting and waiting for an answer that is not forthcoming.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate it but its ok. Just wanted to get a second opinion.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
OK