Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

I am a Canadian, as well as my husband on an E2 visa. We had

Customer Question

I am a Canadian, as well as my husband on an E2 visa. We had a high conflict divorce that resulted in him being convicted of domestic violence- disorderly conduct. The children were placed with my mother. I did not dispute it; as she promised to never keep them from me. I did not take a position in the court room. She was granted day to day care. I agreed, then three months afterwards she kicked me out of her house, and I had nowhere else to go but my home in America. I had nothing . Now, she is bringing them to visit me.. they are 15, 14 12, 10. She has alwaysw told them they could do as they want. If the older children want to live with me in America, and a dispute over the custody or day to day arises, will we be able to bring it before the court here rather then Canada? I must mention the court of appeals suggested the matter be heard in America also, I just allowed her to have the guardianship day to day care and control in the court with the understanding it would be only one year.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

When you say that the Court of Appeals suggested that the matter be heard in the US what exactly do you mean? I am puzzled because courts do not make suggestions. Is there an order?

Where exactly do the children live right now? I'm asking about the city and the province. How long have they been living in this city for?