Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

How to change the Style of Cause in a Divorce Judgement form.

Customer Question

how to change the Style of Cause in a Divorce Judgement form. Thank you
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What province are you in?Why do you need to make this change?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Thankyou for responding. We are from the Province of Alberta. This is the final document for our divorce application.
we submitted the complete documents already, but it was returned because of the discrepancy on the name information of the plaintiff and defendant (Style of Cause).1. We need to make changes because we were not able to include the middle initial of the plaintiff and defendant. We just realized that it should be the same as the complete name info as indicated in the Certificate of Marriage2. We need revise the Divorce Judgement Form (As attached)
The Steps to Correct says we need to:
a. CHANGE the Style of Cause in the Divorce Judgement and
b. ADD a Term in the body of Divorce Judgement (Attached Doc sample)
"The Style of Cause is amended to" (what the correct name is)"- I was thinking, please see on the attached document
do we have to put in like this:plaintiff : The Style of Cause is amended to: ***** ***** Paduathen do we have to put this info: Granting leave to amend as stated above.---> How do we put the term "Granting leave to amend as stated abovePlease advice. Thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Is this a joint application for divorce?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sole application... it is done already, it is just that we need to change the Style of Cause because of discrepancy info ... the midle initial is missing so we need just to include it on the revision
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Yes I know that but I needed that information to see what needs to be done. As you obtained the divorce by default (I am assuming you applied) you don't actually need the consent of your former spouse to amend the order. You don't need to get leave to amend. The order can just say that style of cause is hereby amended.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you.... actually we sent already documents outside Canada and have the 2 months passed already...we are now on the 2nd batch of documents to be submitted...we waited for 6-8 weeks for the Divorce Judgement....and it was returned by the Court because of some discrepancies like the complete name in the Certificate of Marriage should be the same in the Plaintiff and Defendant Name info....So we were given instruction by the Court to Change the Style of Cause... kindly check the attached Form and my previous detailed message...kindly check if is it applying and correct. Thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Please provide it again as last time I looked at what you sent me I didn't see what you were referring to.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your time.... I am sending again the document attached (Divorce Judgement - Sole) and the message i sent last time...the details of my inquiry... Thanks again
-----------------------------------------
The Steps to Correct says we need to (Instruction given by the Court):a. CHANGE the Style of Cause in the Divorce Judgement and
"The Style of Cause is amended to" (what the correct name is)"- I was thinking, please refer on the attached document
do we have to put in like this:plaintiff : The Style of Cause is amended to: ***** ***** Paduathen do we have to put this info: Granting leave to amend as stated above. (as instructed also by the Court)---> How do we put the term "Granting leave to amend as stated abovePlease advice. Thank you
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
The problem is that there is no attachment. I can read the question and have both times. I suggest you email customer service with the attachment and they will forward it to me.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
oh actually the attachment doesnt really matter... it will just show you the plaintiff and defendant's portion on where we are going to put the "The Style of Cause is amended to: (with the complete name)do you have an idea about this changing the title or cause info..?thanks
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I don't understand what information you need. You are simply asking for the style of cause to be amended to the correcg names that correspond to the marriage certificate.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
its okay then, i search it my self, i think you cant figure it out after a series of elaboration. thanks for the time
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
I am sorry I just can't figure out what you are asking for.