Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I have been separated from my husband year. I have

Customer Question

I have been separated from my husband for one year. I have a car that is in both our names. He is wanting the full value of the car before handing it over to me. What steps can I take to keep the car and only give him half the value of the car?
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You will need an agreement or court order before getting the car into one of your names alone. And there is no reason for him to get the full value of the car. But in terms of asset division if there are other assets the court would need to consider all of them at once as you cannot just consider one asset alone if there are others in a family law situation.Does that clarify the issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply.
I have another question. Is there a cost to have a court order done?
There is no other asset involved or to be considered. Only the car ownership is the issue. The car was purchase right out during the marriage.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
There may be a small fee to start an action but if you win your spouse will have to pay that fee in the end.