Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My ex spouse is asking custody of my children. She

Customer Question

My ex spouse is asking for sole custody of my children. She earlier agreed on shared custody now she wants sole custody to secure big chunk in support payments. And to make this happend she is influencing my 12 year old daughter. At present my gross income
is $90K and she makes $66K. We have 2 children 12 and 6 years old. We live in Ontario. I am trying to understand the financial impact on me if I agree on sole custody. 1) Can we define in the agreement ,how child support payment will be utilized. Wondering
if I can ask my ex spouse to provide receipts for every expense. 2) Can we define in agreement maximum spending limit on extra curricular activties, summer camp and child care. My ex spouse is hostile and she will try to rip me off. 3) Can she ask to sponsor
child vacation in addition to support payments. 4) I am payer for child support, under what circumstances judge can order it is not tax deductible. What is tax law on support payments. 5) Who collects payment for Universal child care, CCB and Ontario family
tax benefits. While determining child support payments , can we include it in income.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Are you saying she would have both kids at least 60% of the time?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
At present children stay with me 50% of the time. Now she want me to have only visitation rights and children will stay with her.
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You would have to pay $1293 a month in basic support. You have no right to dictate how that money would be used and have no right to receipts to prove what the money is spent on. That is not at all how the law treats basic support.You can cap the extraordinary expenses and both of you should have to agree on these expenses. A child's vacation is not an extraordinary expense. Child support is not tax deductible. Only spousal support is. She would get all credits and benefits as she would have custody. They are not included as income as they are to help with the costs of caring for the children.