Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

My common law spouse and I have separated. We have 4 children

Customer Question

My common law spouse and I have separated. We have 4 children together 2 of which do not live at home. We own a house together, I personally do not want anything from it or him. I would just like the house and contents sold pay off our debt and go our separate ways. I work out if town so I am not home very often I out 1/2 of each check in the joint account to help pay mortgage and bills I put around 2-3 thousand a month in. He now wants me to give him another 1300 a month to help with the children at that rate he will be getting almost everything I make, I won't have much to live on. I have no problem paying for my children but I do have a problem with him thinking I should pay for the majority of everything. I just came home for days off seeing as I pay 1/2 the mortgage I feel I am entitled to stay at the house. He is now refusing to let me use the shower. Telling me I am nothing but a bitch. Don't get me wrong I did take 2 dressers and other keep sakes I received from my family along with the lawn tractor I purchased he is insisting I need to pay him for lawn tractor. So I have told him fine then he needs to sell his bobcat and holiday trailer which are both worth way more than the lawn tractor. I need help getting this separation over and done with so that I can move on find a place of my own so my kids can come visit in peace. I want nothing else from the property he can keep whatever he wants but the remainder and the house need to be sold and the debt we incurred to get her be paid off. I have saved up a little money to pay for a lawyer.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
What province is this please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The province is Alberta
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
Please let me know the following:
The age of each child
Where the child lives
If the child is over the age of majority if the child is in school full-time
Your gross annual income
His annual income