Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My ex has been dragging me in and out of court better

Customer Question

My ex has been dragging me in and out of court for the better part of 7 years now in regards ***** ***** daughter. He has made several false allegations to child services against myself, my mother,my husband, and now my father. He is constantly threatening court and custody proceedings on me. My daughter is so confused and hurt as she is denying these allegations that her father makes. I want to get her a lawyer with the office of children's lawyers, as i feel she needs her own voice and protection through this. Do i have grounds to proceed with a "Court Order Harrassment" charge against him? I have spoken with child services and the police,the only answer i get is to "get a lawyer".....which i can't as all these court proceedings have financially crippled me.
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
You can apply to the court for an order appointing the OCL to represent your daughter. You can self-represent and apply to the court on your own getting some free assistance from duty counsel or a lawyer at the Family Law Information Centre at your courthouse.
You can try and get an order for a charge of harassment but your chances of succeeding are poor.
There is another route you can go if the police will not assist you.
You can attend at the Justice of the Peace's office in any criminal court.
You simply walk in, tell the JP's secretary what you want to do, and he/she will give you a form to fill out (basic information and your allegations).
Then after you hand it in, you'll speak to the JP and explain the basis for the allegations.
Then if the JP decides there is enough to lay the information, he/she will schedule a pre-enquete (relatively brief in camera hearing to determine whether or not to proceed).
Be prepared to bring any evidence or witnesses you might have for that.