Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

Iam legally separated from my wife.she has possession of our

Customer Question

iam legally separated from my wife.she has possession of our two girls aged 9 and 11 and they are with me every second weekend.i have a situation now that the eleven year old wants to live with me as she is not getting along with her mother and the live in boyfriend.how does the court look upon this and would they listen to an eleven year olds request.i live in nova scotia
Category: Canada Family Law
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello
There is no magic age when a court listens to a child. It is a matter of circumstances and the maturity level of the child. Certainly however, keeping an 11 year old out of the legal process is preferable. Also, courts know that children often tell each parent what they think they want to hear.
What is your read of the situation? Have you discussed it with your ex or would that place more pressure on her? What do you want to have happen?
Thanks
Tom
Expert:  Tom B. replied 1 year ago.
Hello?
Tom
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks for your reply.i have talked to my daughter and worked things out for now.