CriminalLawyerTO
CriminalLawyerTO, Criminal Defence Lawyer
Experience:  After articling at a boutique criminal defence law firm, I started my own law practice, focused on criminal defence.
70961067

I was just charged with mischief under 5000... it was rather

Customer Question

hey i was just charged with mischief under 5000... it was rather minor.. but I can't sleep because I'm worried.. this happened 2 nights ago. i do not have a criminal record prior to this.. I'm 22 and I was drinking
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: im in Ontario, Canada
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: what exactly do you mean by that? I have received my promise to appear and my fingerprint date there were 3 people there at the time who gave statements
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not specifically
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I want to know how to proceed, what a likely outcome is and anything else I should know on the topic.
Expert:  CriminalLawyerTO replied 2 months ago.

I am a criminal lawyer in Ontario and am very familiar with such cases.

If it is your first offence, and the offence is quite minor, it is highly unlikely you'll receive a criminal record. You may only receive a discharge (i.e. finding of guilt but no criminal conviction), or perhaps even a peace bond (i.e. charges dropped provided you stay away from the person whose property you damaged, for 12 months generally).

As for how the charges will proceed, on your first and/or second court date you'll get disclosure (i.e. Crown's evidence), then you can speak with the Crown to see what they're offering in terms of resolution. If you like the offer and want to accept responsibility then you can accept it, if not you can set the matter down for trial to fight the charges.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Okay.. that makes me feel better. Do I need to hire a lawyer that is in Hamilton (the court I am dealing with) or it doesn't matter? What would you say a fair price for me to pay is for something like this assuming it doesn't go to trial? I do not want to get ripped off... thanks again.

If it is just the single count of Mischief Under, and the matter doesn't go to trial (i.e. plea or charges dropped), then at the very low end of the spectrum would be $1,800 or so, and the very high end of the spectrum would be $4,000 or so. Most lawyers (including myself) would likely charge in the mid-to-high $2,000's for this.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive compensation for my services. Thank you.

Was there anything further, or any reason you have not yet provided me with a positive rating?