ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience in family, criminal, and civil law

My brother is hsving me chargedcwith abuse over 35 years ago

Customer Question

My brother is hsving me chargedcwith sexual abuse over 35 years ago my brother is being chsrged himself with 30 counts of fraud fpr finically abusong our father and misuse of POA Idid not abuse my brother over 35 years ago i feelnit is pay back becsuse he abused our dad and we turned the evediece inin to the police he had opened up many a credit cards under dads name without his knowledge the investigor phoned me yestrtday and told me to come down and a statment i told hrt i am ging away for a week and they said come to the station aftervyour hoolday. Do you think it is a big deal if they wait they did not seem concerned
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  BarristerJones replied 1 month ago.

It is very rare for a criminal case to be commenced so long after the illegal conduct was alleged to have occurred. It is also very rare for there to be enough evidence to support a prosecution after so much time. It sounds like the police are not too concerned since they did not object to you going on holiday before being interviewed. While I certainly do not know all the facts of your case, this sounds like a clear case of revenge, with no supporting evidence. Such cases do not get prosecuted. Do you have any other questions?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Great i do need more help
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I had come back from hoildays i was charged with sexual abuse not the terms they used under section so and so of the crimnal act. I told them no comment as to a lawyer needs to be aware they finger printed me. And took my picture the aledged said it happened jan 1974 to75. My brother would have been about 9 and i was 19. Do not know whatvthe eveidence is based on this is 42 years ago the officer read me my rights and than put me in a cell forv5 hours. The investigtor had about a month ago questioned my 87 yeat old dad and said they only time heard about this was when he was living with my broher after his fall about yeatcand half ago that is whete my dad was being fincially abused my
y wife had told my brothervwhat are you hiding if you wont let anyone see dad you are up to something and we will have you in investigated. My brother statefvto my wifexivwill have my brother chrgef with sexual abuse than so. My bother must have been told the story than dad said that was the first he heatd of this abuse. Mom passed2 years ago i havec2 brohets deceased and myboldest brother are POA'S. Would police have not be called years ago if abuse happened the onvetitor mentioed about hospital records and my parentswould have contaced he was under age than my brothet had mentalvissues he is bi polar and has tried to commient sucide 3 times in the past 15 years he was charged in march with 30 counts of finical fraud and miss use of poa. This feels like pay back what should i do i do not have alot of funds to pay out big lawyer fees

Since you have actually been charged, I believe this is more of a criminal law issue, rather than a family law issue and I'm going to opt out in favor of a more appropriate expert.

Expert:  ulysses101 replied 1 month ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

What province are you in?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.

So when is your court date? What have you been charged with exactly? What paperwork have you been given?