ulysses101
ulysses101, Lawyer
Experience:  Over 10 years litigation experience in family, criminal, and civil law
17441061

If I use a website and/or an email list to reveal things

Customer Question

If I use a website and/or an email list to reveal things someone has done that are illegal, immoral, and unethical, can I be sued for defamation?
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 4 months ago.

Yes.

But I'm sure that there's more to it. What's going on?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am going through an ugly divorce with a man who used me to immigrate to Canada. He worked as an "Osteopathic Manual Practitioner" without a license for 11 months. He violated the Code of Ethics by having a romantic and sexual connection with a 19 year-old who had been his patient. I feel sickened by the idea of him continuing to treat people.We're negotiating payments and unfortunately, he needs to work to repay me. If he falls through, I want to shut him down. I own his website and email list and want to reveal his misconduct so his patients know who he really is.

What you're proposing is extortion.

If you have to take a stand, contact the police and/or his professional licensing body or college.

Anything else?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Isn't extortion saying, "If you don't, I will..." ? I tried his licensing body and got nowhere. I will send a formal complaint.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I looked it up. Extortion is trying to get money by threatening to reveal. That's not what I intend to do, at all. Anyway, thanks for your answer.

But you said that if he falls through you want to shut him down. If you let him know that this is your intention, then that's extortion.

If you want to "do the right thing" then it shouldn't matter whether he pays you or not.

As well, it's very easy to cross the line into defamation if you're disseminating information which, while probably true, is intended to harm another professionally.

Do you have a lawyer in your family litigation?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I do not yet have a lawyer, no.

You certainly need one. Among other reasons, your lawyer will know how to use your information to gain some leverage without exposing you to any risk.

You say it's an ugly divorce. I think you'd do well to get some professional help here. If he tells family court that you're trying to destroy his career, that won't help your case.

Anything else about this you'd like to discuss?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks.

You're very welcome. If there's nothing else, may I have a positive service rating please? Ratings are how I get credit from the site for helping its customers. I'd appreciate it.

Ulysses

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The site isn't letting me rate."Sorry, your rating was not processed. Please refresh the page and try rating again. If the issue persists, contact Customer Care at 1-***-***-****."

I'll ask the site to do the rating, if you don't mind?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't mind. Please rate 5 stars.

Thank you very much. Good luck.