Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My son is supposed to report to court tomorrow at 9 am one

Customer Question

My son is supposed to report to court tomorrow at 9 am one lawyer says it's to sign final plea offer or decide to go to trial other lawyer same firm who doesn't go to court says you have to be there even though nothing is going to happen they just need to see you. He set up appointment for next week to have my son declared incompetent to stand trial but he has lied before If nothing is going to happen tomorrow why would he need to be at court
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.

I am sorry you are in this difficult situation.

Your son has to attend court regularly.

When there is an outstanding charge the court essentially keeps track of the accused people by having them return to court regularly. Often nothing happens but just a new date is set for the next appearance.

It is not acceptable for a lawyer to lie to you so if the lawyer is lying then your son needs a new lawyer.

Does that answer your question?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?