Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

I have a video, taken on my cell phone, of an individual smashing

Customer Question

I have a video, taken on my cell phone, of an individual smashing the windows of my truck parked on my property. Criminal charges have been laid and law enforcement has a copy of the video. Am i allowed to post the video online? I am in quebec, canada.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 6 months ago.
There is nothing unlawful in posting this online. This was taken in public and so there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.So as long as you do not lie in any comments you make you could not be sued successfully for defamation either. Let me know if you need any further clarification.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
And with respect to the police, they will not claim that by posting it online i have interfered with their investigation in any way?
You are simply posting a video that you own that you had the right to take so they cannot fault you. But you want this person convicted and so check with them first as you don't want to unwittingly help the offender of course.