Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

What happens if u are ordered to pay restitution in the

Customer Question

What happens if u are ordered to pay restitution in the amount of $ 800,000 2 yrs after u Hv finished a 2 yr jail term? He was told by the judge if he didn't pay it he would return to jail to finish his sentence. My husband is a 67 yr old man. His chances of doing that are slim to none. He was incarcerated for theft & fraud. He was up against one of the 3 top wealthiest men in Canada. If he files bankruptcy will that help & make it go away.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 8 months ago.
If he cannot make restitution he can apply to the court to seek to vary the order based on undue hardship. If he can prove that it is impossible for him to make restitution it is possible that the court will agree.Bankruptcy will not affect this in anyway unfortunately.I'm sorry you're in this difficult situation.