Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My roommate had taken my truck without permission and come

Customer Question

My roommate had taken my truck without permission and come home with a broken windshield that she says some other girl broke it after getting in argument.
JA: The Lawyer will need to help you with this. Have you consulted a lawyer yet?
Customer: My roommate pressed charges but I have spoken with the other girl and she replaced the windshield. Can charges be withdrawn, seeing as my roommate never had permission to take my truck??
JA: Is there anything else the Lawyer should be aware of?
Customer: My roommate is in rehab now.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Lawyer about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Neither you nor your roommate charged this woman. The police did.

You can call them and speak to the police or the Crown and indicate that this is your truck, the person replaced the windshield and you don't want the charges to proceed and see what you are told.

But it's just not your choice as the police have to decide.