Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

I have a friend who is involved in a ponzi scheme. Can she

Customer Question

I have a friend who is involved in a ponzi scheme. Can she go to jail for participating in it?
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 9 months ago.

While it is possible that she could face a jail term it is unlikely unless this is not her first offence. If this is her first offence it is not likely that she would end up in jail.

If she believes that she is going to be charged her next step, without a doubt, should be to consult with a criminal lawyer face-to-face. And, she should remember that she has a legal right to speak to a lawyer and obtain legal advice before making a statement to the police.

If she does not think she's going to be charged then she should stop at once before things change and she is charged because even if she does not end up in jail having a criminal record can have dire consequences for the rest of her life essentially.