Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in practice.
28667836

Our son was charged with disturbing the peace. He and s

Customer Question

Customer: Our son was charged with disturbing the peace. He and his girlfriend were arguing and he called the police to assist when she was 'stealing' their puppy. He was charged instead of her. What happens if he pleads not guilty? He was on lunch hour from work - no drinking or drugs involved.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The charge is disturbing the peace. There was a no contact. She contacted him and therefore since he breached, if he pleads guilty, it will be a conditional discharge. She still tries to contact our son and there are no consequences for her but if our son replies to one text, it would be jail.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Canada Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok. I prefer the answers soon and around $18 is fine - but how do i know you're legal or trust giving cc info.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  ulysses101 replied 10 months ago.

Hello, thank you for the question.

You're asking what will happen if your son pleads not guilty, and I can help you with that. But I need some more information first.

What province are you in?

How old is your son?

Does he have a criminal record?

He's facing two charges currently, a disturb peace (do you know if it's s.175? Sometimes it's another section of the code, like s.30) and a breach of recog/bail?

Is he still with this girl? Do you have any insight as to why she keeps contacting him, knowing that he can't reply?