CriminalLawyerTO
CriminalLawyerTO, Criminal Defence Lawyer
Experience:  After articling at a boutique criminal defence law firm, I started my own law practice, focused on criminal defence.
70961067

Tod. I worked retail store and was charged 5k in British

Customer Question

Customer: Tod. I worked for a retail store and was charged for theft for under 5k in British Columbia. I was arrested and released after two hours. I have a court date on ***** ***** 7th and cannot afford to go to jail or I will lose my current job
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I was working at a retail store and walked out of the store after my shift with over 2k worth of merchandise and was stopped by management and then questioned. they let me go of course
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Criminal Law Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes I am
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  CriminalLawyerTO replied 11 months ago.

If this is your first offence, then it is quite unlikely you'd be going to jail, even if found guilty. Judges do not want to send people to jail unless absolutely necessary. If you plead guilty an accept responsibility for your actions (assuming such is the case- if you didn't intend to steal then you shouldn't plead guilty) and you are otherwise a contributing member of society i.e. attending work or school, doing community service or well educated in general, then the judge will likely not give you a jail sentence.

Hopefully my answer was of assistance. Would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you very much.

Sorry to bother you but would you kindly provide me with a positive rating so I can receive payment for my services. Thank you very much.