Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

My daughter got a ticket a school bus when it was flashing

Customer Question

My daughter got a ticket for passing a school bus when it was flashing red lights, that she does not recall doing. She was told by the RCMP detachment that it was the bus driver that made the complaint and that the driver is willing to go to court. How should she proceed?
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

She should plead not guilty.

Then she should get disclosure from the Crown that will provide a statement that summarizes what the bus driver will say in court under oath.

When she reads that if she thinks the bus driver is wrong then she should go to trial and she can testify on her own behalf and she can cross-examine the bus driver.

She should remember that the burden of proof is on the crown to show that she did this and the proof must be beyond a reasonable doubt.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What would happen if after she gets disclosure, it is obvious that she did and just didn't realize it. Can she change her plea to guilty?
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.

Yes she can. That is possible at any time.