Copperlaw
Copperlaw, Lawyer
Experience:  Criminal Defense Attorney Retired Cop Drug Expert, Undercover Negotiator Breath Tech Traffic Specialist
38596469

What advice would you give to someone who made a mistake and

Customer Question

What advice would you give to someone who made a mistake and altered a check which was then cashed? Police were called, by the account holder, and they now want to possibly pursue charges against her. She has a clean record, and we'd llike ti to stay that way, We'd like for this to result in no arrests. Any advice at all? She's supposed to meet with the cops tomorrow
Category: Canada Criminal Law
Expert:  Copperlaw replied 1 year ago.
Good evening, I would be happy to assist you. She could be looking at charges of uttering a forged document and fraud. One of the factors in whether or not the police are likely to lay charges is the value of the fraud. What was the original amount and what was it changed to? If she has no record, is cooperative and the amount is not large, then it is possible that the police could give her a warning. They would be more likely to do this if restitution was made and there was no longer any loss to the victim of the fraud. Do you have any idea what the victim will want done? If the victim is not overly interested in having charges laid, then this will also influence the police in deciding upon whether or not to lay charges. I look forward to hearing back from you so that I may ensure that you have all of the information you require. Jim