Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in legal practice and over 30 years in business.
28667836

I am an automotive business owner and we are having an issue

Customer Question

I am an automotive business owner and we are having an issue with a customer. There was a failure with a product we installed that he provided for us to install. After 7 weeks a wheel came off and was towed to a shop out of town(where he was at the time). Two weeks after the incident, I was contacted and brought an invoice for the repair, that I was expected to pay. I stated that I needed to investigate further, and contacted the individual who performed the repair. After that, I spoke to the customers father(when he contacted me), and discussed my findings. He again demanded I pay the invoice. I stated that I would not pay for the additional repairs they had carried out, only(out of goodwill) that I would reimburse them the amount that would have been necessary to correct the damage from the incident. His comment(before allowing me to finish) was "fine, I will be contacting the authorities", and hung up. Now, I am being overloaded with all of the customers friends with 1 star reviews online(especially Facebook) and negative comments. As well the customer making statements without any knowledge of what he is stating. What can I do to protect my reputation?(and resolve this issue?)
Submitted: 19 days ago.
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 19 days ago.

Hello! My name is***** you for your question. I'm reviewing it now, and will post back again shortly.

Are they making false statements about you or just saying nasty opinions?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
There are only portions of the statements made that have truth. The balance is nasty opinions. The facts are given as partial truths and added comments to make it seem as though we were either negligent or simply do not care. The main issue is that I am dealing with a young adult, and his father has gotten involved. Through this young mans group of friends, they are all attacking the issue on social media.

But are there any actual lies?

Expert:  Legal Ease replied 18 days ago.

Did you get a chance to read my question to you? I cannot answer you in a meaningful way until I gather the appropriate information. There is no charge for us going up and back of course.

Thanks!