Tom B.
Tom B., Barrister & Solicitor
Experience:  25 years in legal practice and over 30 years in business.

Is here currently a lawyer with a license or former license

Customer Question

Is here currently a lawyer with a license or former license in BC?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Daniel Freudman replied 1 month ago.

Is who currently a lawyer licensed in BC?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello Mr. Daniel Freudman,
You are a licensed lawyer in BC? Can you pls. tell the manager of that website to stop the publication of our future conversation on that website? If yes, then I would like to ask you a question. I thank you in advance for your cooperation in that case.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I am a self represented litigant/plaintiff. Soon I will be present in a case planning conference.
Does it make sense, to tell the judge, that a discovery process with a court reporter of 7hrs of my person (demanded by the defendants' lawyer) is a waste of time and money, because the same questions will be asked at the trial? Or is that discovery process a complete normal process, which helps the defendants' lawyer to evaluate the situation, to shorten the trial ?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Or could you give me an advice, which literature I could find about the Discovery Process, which takes place at the location of a court reporter ? I read the guidebook published by the Supreme Court about "The Discovery Process", but that does not explain details about the "situation in the board room" of a court reporter. Otherwise, I will ask here my questions. I called yesterday the office of a court reporter, but she was not willing to answer my questions; she said, I should consult a lawyer. Being a court reporter means to have a business, which offers a service, I thought.Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation. I look forward to working with you in the future.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My special question: Who is allowed or not allowed to attend this "discovery process" at the court reporter's location? Does that "question-answer" period get recorded? Will the transcripts present a "verbatim-version" ? Am I, as a plaintiff allowed to make notes? Am I, as a plaintiff allowed to take a witness with me? Do I have to ask the judge, if I am allowed to take my "McKenzie Friend with me? Should I discuss that all with the judge at the Case Planning Conference, to not get into trouble with the court reporter and/or defendants' lawyer ?

My apologies, I misunderstood your question. No, I am not licensed in BC. I will opt out of this question so another Expert (ideally one who does hold such a license) can assist.