Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

I got in an accident where no fault could be determined my

Customer Question

HelloI got in an accident where no fault could be determined my the police service and at the time I didn't have valid insurance. The other parties insurance company is asking my to pay the full 6000 bill ? Is this accurate ? I already paid for my own damages and they should pay for their own correct ?
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear this.

What province are you in please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Edmonton Alberta

They can ask you what you want. You don't have to comply.

If accident is not your fault then you don't owe them anything.

And if they want you to pay that will mean they have to sue you and then they will have the burden of proof. That means that they will have to prove, on a balance of probabilities, that you caused the damages. If they cannot they will lose the case.

So you can tell them you were not at fault, are not paying and that you are happy to have a court decide.

Does that help as a starting point?

Please feel free to post back with any follow-up questions you may have. If you don't have any then I hope I have earned a 5 star rating but if you don't feel that I have please don't hesitate to reply back and let me know what more I can do to assist you. Finally, please know that even after you rate me I will be here for you and you can ask follow-up questions if you think of them later on at no further charge of course.

Is there anything more I can help you with at this point in time?