Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

I bought a car from a dealership that i found online ( im in

Customer Question

hii bought a car from a dealership that i found online ( im in BC ) the dealership is in AB. Had the car shipped to BC.
Found out the car colour is Black Forest Green, I wanted a Black Car, all the documents we signed says Black and the ad was Black (never mentioned Black Forest Green ). I don't want a Black Forest Green Color Car, i want a black car. do i have any rights on this?
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 4 months ago.

Yes of course you do.

How much did you pay for this car?

Is it new or used?

What did the dealer say so far about this?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
HIUsed Vehicle, Jeep Grand Cherokee 2014, car was 39,999 plus taxes plus everything else ( ended up 48,00+++). trying to reach the dealerships manager to discuss but wanted to know our legal standing first :D

There is no doubt that you don't have to keep this car. Whether this was a material mis-representation or an error on the part of the dealer is hard to say but what is clear is that you didn't get what you paid for.

If necessary you would sue the dealer but your first step is to call the dealer. You should decide now whether you want to return the car and get a full refund, want them to find you another car that is at least as good as the one you were to get or whether you want to accept this car with a discount and get a partial refund.

If they don't agree your next step would be to contact head office for the dealer if there is one.

Then if that doesn't work you can try and get some help from AMVIC:

And then if that doesn't work you would have to sue them. You would succeed and any lawyer will tell them that so it is not at all likely they would make you sue them.

Does that help as a starting point?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I called amvic and was told that they do not trump contractual law because my car was financed. do I still have a legal ground to stand on at this point? or am I completely stuck?

You have all the legal remedies available to you that I explained. It is simply that AMVIC will not help you.