Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.

Must a new commercial landlord negotiate and sign a new lease

Customer Question

must a new commercial landlord negotiate and sign a new lease with existing tenants
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  barristerinky replied 5 months ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney who will try my very best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I research statutes or ordinances and type out an answer or reply,but rest assured, I am working on your question.
If there is a fixed term lease that is set to expire soon, then unless the landlord and tenant are able to agree on a new lease, then when it expires, the tenant's right to use and possess the property expires as well and they would have to vacate. .But whether the lease is extended is a matter of negotiation between the parties. The landlord can't force the tenant to remain and the tenant can't force the landlord to renew the lease. Both parties must agree before the relationship would continue..So to answer your question directly, no, the landlord doesn't have to negotiate and sign a new lease with the current tenants if they choose not to..As an aside, in addition to being an attorney, I have also been a landlord for over 26 years.....thanksBarrister
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 5 months ago.
Your question was answered by a US lawyer.Can you confirm that you are in Canada?