Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

What is the liability and further repercussions in regards

Customer Question

What is the liability and further repercussions in regards ***** ***** third-party collection agency that has qualified a matter for further action against a student as per their letter?The matter is in regards ***** ***** tuition amounts of US$7,075 (US$14,500 was paid) from University of Liverpool. Payments terms were pay as you go, that is pay to enroll in a module, and therefore fees paid (US$14,500) were for all the modules that were taken online in Canada. The program was never completed due to lack of funds. It appears the US$7,075 is for the dissertation.
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 11 months ago.

Are you asking about whether the student can be sued?

If not, please explain what you are asking is it's just not clear to me.

If this is what you are asking then please let me know when the last time the student made a partial payment towards the debt, when the debt when into default, and whether the student ever acknowledged the debt in writing.

Also, please let me know the province.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I apologize. For clarification:Yes can the student be sued?
Last payment made September 2013The debt went into to defaultStudent did not acknowledge the debt in writing. The student sent an email to the third-party collectors that they did not owe the moneyThe province is Alberta

Do you know if a lawsuit has been started yet?

Are you saying the default was in September 2013?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The lawsuit has not started.the default was about march 2014

They have two years from March 2014 to sue and the likely will sue. There is no reason why they could not.

I am sorry this is not the answer you were hoping for but does that answer your question?