Legal Ease
Legal Ease, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a practicing lawyer and have also been an online professional for 5 years.
10263656

In canada, cellphone companies can only charge $50 in

Customer Question

in canada, cellphone companies can only charge $50 in domestic over usage data recently, i received a message from my cellphone company saying that I have reached my $50 over usage limit. If i want to continue data usage for the rest of the month, then
i have to pay extra. can they legally do that? can can charge more than $50 for over usage?
Category: Canada Business Law
Expert:  Legal Ease replied 1 year ago.
If you are asking whether you can use excessive data for the rest of the month for free, the answer is clearly not. Just because a cell phone company may be limited to charging you only $50 in overage charges doesn't mean you have free rights to use all the data that you want for the month. That would not make any sense. Then everyone would get the lowest possible data package, pay a small amount of money and then use data excessively for $50 a month which most assuredly cannot be done.