Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

In part of the question regarding an Air Force study of the

Customer Question

in part b of the question regarding an Air Force study of the Challenger flight disaster I got to z = .2572...how did you get to.60 as the final answer?
JA: The Advanced Math Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Tell me more about what you need help with so we can help you best.
Customer: i did in my initial question: n part b of the question regarding an Air Force study of the Challenger flight disaster I got to z = .2572...how did you get to.60 as the final answer?
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Advanced Math Tutor should know?
Customer: I don't think so...
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 months ago.

Thank you for using the site.

If this is the problem that I think it is, the z-value that you should get is z = -0.2572, rather than z = +0.2572.

Then, since you want the probability of "at least one disaster in 25 missions", you want the area that is to the right of z = -0.2572.

You can use Excel to calculate this by using the following formula:

= 1 - normsdist(-0.2572)

which will give you 0.6015

Or, you can use a table to find the area to the right of z = +0.2572, and subtract that value from 1 to get 0.6015.

Please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions about this.

Thanks,

Ryan