Mr. Glenn
Mr. Glenn, Math and Stat Expert
Experience:  Math Professor for at least 15 yrs

The distribution of grades in an introductory finance class

Customer Question

The distribution of grades in an introductory finance class is normally distributed with an expected grade of 75. If the standard deviation of grades is 7, in what range would you expect 95% of the grades to fall?
JA: The Advanced Math Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Tell me more about what you need help with so we can help you best.
Customer: I need help with the problem I just sent you
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Advanced Math Tutor should know?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Advanced Math Tutor about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Mr. Glenn replied 4 months ago.

Hi Thank you for using this site. When do you need the answer? Please reply asap.

Here is the answer:

solution: Note: if the question being asked is the range from the mean,

raw scores = mean +/- z score(sd)
= 75 +/- 7(1.96)
= 61.28 to 88.72

95% of the grades will fall from 61.28 to 88.72

(note: but if the question being asked is what is the highest score so that 95% of the distribution is (equal to or ) lower than that score, then the correct answer is 86.5143)

If you are satisfied and happy with the answer, please choose a high rating. (so that I get paid) If you need more information, clarifications, or are not satisfied yet, choose 'Continue the conversation'. Bonuses are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT. So kindly do not forget to rate and accept the answer, thanks!