Sandhya_sharma
Sandhya_sharma, Master's Degree
Experience:  I hold M.Sc and M.Phil degrees in math and have several years of teaching experience.
14910578

A sociologist wishes to conduct a poll to estimate the

Customer Question

Customer: A sociologist wishes to conduct a poll to estimate the percentage of Americans who favor affirmative actions programs for women and minorities for admission to colleges or universities. What sample size should be obtained if she wishes the estimate to be within 4 percent points with 90% confidence if she uses a 2003 esitmate of 55% obtained from a Gallup Youth Survey? She does not use any prior estimates?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just need to answer this question and learn how to correctly solve this type of problem
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Calculus and Above Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I'm sorry I am kind of in a hurry and don't have a lot of time to wait
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Sandhya_sharma replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for using Justanswer!

I am working on this question. I will send solution ASAP.

Thanks

Question:

A sociologist wishes to conduct a poll to estimate the percentage of Americans who favor affirmative actions programs for women and minorities for admission to colleges or universities. What sample size should be obtained if she wishes the estimate to be within 4 percent points with 90% confidence if she uses a 2003 esitmate of 55% obtained from a Gallup Youth Survey? She does not use any prior estimates?

Solution:

Given E = 0.04

and z = 1.645,

Sample size when prior estimation is given:

Sample size = p(1-p)*(z/E)^2 = 0.55*(1-0.55)*(1.645/0.04)^2 = 418.58824

round up to 419

Sample size is 419 when prior estimation is given.

Sample when no prior estimation is given:

Sample size = p(1-p)*(z/E)^2 = 0.5*(1-0.5)*(1.645/0.04)^2 =(###) ###-####/p>

round up to 423

Sample size is 423 when no prior estimation is given.

I hope it will help you.

Please don't forget to rate my answer.

Thanks