SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience:  Tutor for Algebra, Geometry, Statistics. Explaining math in plain English.
12809769

Problem : In the 400 Meter Race, the winning male had a time

Customer Question

Problem : In the 400 Meter Race, the winning male had a time approximately 6 seconds faster than the winning female.
(a) Is the variance greater for men or women in the 400 Meter Race?
The variance is greater for women Variance: Male (.256) Female (.274)
(b) Which of the winning runners, male or female, did the best when compared with their respective genders? (Was the male or female better overall?) How did you determine this?
Female. She ran over 6 minutes faster the last male runner.
Problem 2: In the marathon, finishing times can vary greatly.
(a) Is the woman who finished last in her race a worse runner than the male who finished last in his? Why?
She ran over 6 minutes faster the worse male runner
(b) Do you think that the number of data points for the marathon would make it more or less accurate than those you calculated for the 400 Meter race? Why?
Problem 3. The men’s Triple Jump had 2 qualifying heats, Group A and Group B. (a) Do you think that the top 3 finishers in Group A are better at the triple jump than the top 3 finishers in Group B, seeing as they jumped farther? Why?
(b) Which is a better athlete, the overall winner of the triple jump or the winner of the 400-Meter Race? Why?
Part B: The next section will use the Excel spreadsheet titled “Histogram Practice.xls” and is found in the Datasets folder. You will need to use the Data Analysis tools found under the Data tab in MS-Excel.
Problem 4. Look at the data in the worksheet titled “Arrivals” and answer the following questions: (a) What are the minimum and maximum values for the dataset?
(b) Create a histogram from the data using bins chosen by Excel.
(c) What type of distribution is shown by this data?
Problem 5. Look at the worksheet titled “Account” and answer the following questions: (a) What are the minimum and maximum values for the dataset?
(b) Using your min and max values, create 8-10 bins of number ranges to put the data into. List the bins you chose.
(c) Create a histogram of the data using your bins.
(d) What type of distribution is shown by the histogram you created?
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Mr. Gregory White replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Greg.
I see this might be time sensitive.
Do you still need this answered?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I still havent received the answers
After going through my resources, I do not have what is necessary to complete at this time.
I am opting out and opening up to the other professionals and messaging a couple who might be able to help.
Someone should be with you shortly.