Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering

55-4For 12 straight weeks, you have observed the sales

Attachment: 2013-11-18_185351_copy_of_s55_4.xlsx

55-4 For 12 straight weeks, you have observed the sales (in numbers of cases) of canned tomatoes at Mr. D. Supermarket. (See the file Grocery xlxs.) Each week, you keep track of the following: -Was promotional notice for canned tomatoes placed in all shopping carts? - Was a coupon for canned tomatoes given to each customer? -Was a price reduction (none, 1, or 2 cents off) given? Use this data to determine how the above factors influence sales. Predict sales of canned tomatoes during a week in which you used a shopping cart notice, a coupon, and reduce price by 1 cent.

Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  mathwhiz123 replied 4 months ago.

mathwhiz123 :

can you send the excel file?

Customer:

I did its attached

Expert:  Ryan replied 4 months ago.
Hi Janelle,

Thank you for your question.

I reviewed the regression analysis that was done in the Excel file that you attached. I don't understand why the last column is labeled as "2 cents off". It would seem that you would want a column for the coupon (1 for yes, 0 for no), and a column for the price reduction (where the value is 0, 1, or 2, therby reflecting the actual amount of the price reduction). In other words, while the cart notice and coupon use columns are binary (either a 0 or a 1), the price reduction column should have the actual value of the reduction.

I have reworked the multiple regression in the Excel file linked below. The first analysis showed that coupon use was not significant in predicting sales, which may explain why your file seems to ignore coupon use in its analysis.

A second multiple regression analysis is then done, excluding the coupon use data. That analysis turned out to be significant, and all coefficients were significant. As a result, the equation from the second analysis is then used to make the required prediction.

Here is the file:

MultipleRegression

As always, please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions about this.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience: B.S. in Civil Engineering