Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. in Civil Engineering
40260889

Hi, Can You Help With A Stat Quiz?

Hi, can you help with a stat quiz?

Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using JustAnswer. And thank you for requesting me.

Do you know how many questions are on the quiz, and if it is multiple choice or not?

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

16 multiple choice

1 hour and 15 mins

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Is this introductory statistics, or a more advanced class?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Intro. You have helped me in the past with 4 others.

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Oh, ok. I'm sorry, I didn't recognize your user name right at first.

Sounds good. I'm ready when you are.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

1. Identify the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1. Carter Motor Company claims that its new sedan, the Libra, will average better than 21 miles per gallon in the city. Use μ, the true average mileage of the Libra.
Ho: μ = 21, H1: μ> 21
Ho: μ > 21, H1: μ= 21
Ho: μ = 21, H1: μ< 21
Ho: μ < 21, H1: μ = 21
(Points : 7)
Please refer to answer choice a. above. Please refer to answer choice b. above. Please refer to answer choice c. above. Please refer to answer choice d. above.

2. Identify the null hypothesis Ho and the alternative hypothesis H1. The manufacturer of a refrigerator system for beer kegs produces refrigerators that are supposed to maintain a true mean temperature, µ, of 46 degree F, ideal for a certain type of German pilsner. The owner of the brewery does not agree with the refrigerator manufacturer, and claims he can prove that the true mean temperature is incorrect.
Ho: µ pq7_4 46 degree, H1: µ= 46 degree
Ho: µ = 46 degree, H1: µ pq7_446 degree
Ho: µ pq7_4 46 degree, H1: µ> 46 degree
Ho: µ pq7_4 46 degree, H1: µ < 46 degree
(Points : 7)

3. Assume that the data has a normal distribution. Also assume that the standard deviation of the population, sigma, is known. Find the critical value(s) used to test a null hypothesis: level of significance pq7_1 = 0.1 for a two-tailed test.

(Points : 6)
e4_8 2.33

e4_8 2.05

e4_8 1.48

e4_8 1.645

4. Assume that the data has a normal distribution. Also assume that the standard deviation of the population, sigma, is known. Find the critical value(s) used to test a null hypothesis: level of significance pq7_1 = 0.07; H1 is μ > 62.4. (Points : 6)
1.48

e4_8

1.81

1.81 -1.48

5. A skeptical paranormal researcher claims that the proportion of Americans that have seen a UFO, p, is less than 2 in every ten thousand. Assuming that a hypothesis test of the claim has been conducted and that the conclusion is failure to reject the null hypothesis, state the conclusion in nontechnical terms. Be sure to address the original claim.

(Points : 7)
There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is greater than 2 in ten thousand.

There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is less than 2 in ten thousand.

There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is less than 2 in ten thousand.

There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is greater than 2 in ten thousand.

6. A psychologist claims that more than 32 percent of the population suffers from professional problems due to extreme shyness. Assuming that a hypothesis test of the claim has been conducted and that the conclusion is failure to reject the null hypothesis, state the conclusion in nontechnical terms.

(Points : 7)
There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is less than 32 percent.

There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is greater than 32 percent.

There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is greater than 32 percent.

There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is less than 32 percent.

7. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ = 3.45. Given a sample of n = 32 and a significance level of pq7_1 = 0.01, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points : 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.33 or < -2.33.

Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.575.

Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.575 or < -2.575.

Reject Ho if test statistic > 2.33.

8. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ > 10. Given a sample of n = 50 and a significance level of pq7_1 = 0.10, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points : 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.645 or < -1.645.

Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.645.

Reject Ho if test statistic > 1.28.

Reject Ho if test statistic < 1.28.

9. Suppose you wish to test the claim that μ < 62.2. Given a sample of n = 106 and a significance level of pq7_1 = 0.01, what criterion would be used for rejecting the null hypothesis? Assume that the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known.

(Points : 6)
Reject Ho if test statistic < -2.33.

Reject Ho if test statistic < -2.575.

Reject Ho if test statistic < 2.575.

Reject Ho if test statistic > -2.33.

10. A population is normally distributed with a standard deviation σ = 26. We wish to test the hypotheses Ho: μ = 942.1; H1 = μ > 942.1. A 70-item sample has a mean e3_29 = 905.7. Compute the value of the test statistic.

(Points : 7)
-11.71

-0.17

-13.52

594.61

11. Find the critical value or values for the given hypothesis, sample size, and significance level. Assume that the standard deviation of the population, σ, is unknown. H1: μ < 1.04, n = 18, pq7_1 = 0.05.

(Points : 7)
1.740

-1.740

-1.734

e4_8 2.110

12. e3_29 for a data set is 3.36, s is 0.376 and n = 55. The data is approximately normal and the standard deviation, σ, of the population is known. Ho: μ = 3.326, H1: μ pq7_4 3.326. Should the statistician use a t distribution, a normal distribution, or neither to test the null hypothesis?

(Points : 7)
t distribution

Neither

Normal distribution

13. In a study of monthly incomes, e3_29 = 4160, sigma σ = 1480, n = 12. The data has a slight skew to the right. The alternative hypothesis is: μ pq7_4 4576. Should the statistician use a t distribution, a normal distribution, or neither to test the null hypothesis?

(Points : 7)
t distribution

Neither

Normal distribution

14. You wish to test the claim that μ < 3.35 at the pq7_1 = 0.02 significance level. In a sample of n = 25, the sample mean is 3.25 and the standard deviation of the sample is s = 0.87. What is the value of the appropriate test statistic? (Points : 7)
-2.87

-0.57

0.57

-0.11

15. You wish to test the claim that μ < 3.35 at the pq7_1 = 0.02 significance level. In a sample of n = 22, the sample mean is 3.19 and the standard deviation of the sample is s=0.77. What is the value of the appropriate test statistic?

(Points : 7)
0.97

-0.97

-0.21

-4.57

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Is there any way that you can take a screenshot of the problems and post that? Many of the vital numbers in the problems are actually graphics instead of text and they don't come through when you copy and paste.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How do I do that?

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

First things first, do you know how to take a screenshot?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, great.

Once you have the screenshot, you can attach it to a reply in this thread by using the "paper clip" button on the toolbar. After clicking on the "paper clip" button, click on Browse and navigate through your the folders to find the file with the screenshot.

The appearance of the toolbar depends on the browser that you are using, so if it doesn't show up on your end, here is an alternative.

You can upload the screenshot file to a file-sharing website such as mediafire.com. After you upload your file to that site, they will assign a sharing URL to your file. Copy that link and past it into your reply here. It will look something like this:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5brx121xcn4h1bc

Thanks,

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Would it be easier if I gave you my log on and you completed the test from there?

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Well, it would be easier, but I can't do that. That would violate this site's policies, and would jeopardize my position here. I'm pretty sure my family wouldn't appreciate that. Smile

I'm working my way through these, and so far I believe I can figure out what is missing.

Here are the first five answers:

1. A. H0: µ = 21; H1: µ > 21

2. B. H0: µ = 46 degree; H1: µ ≠ 46 degree

3. D. 1.645

4. A. 1.48

5. B. There is sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion is less than 2 in ten thousand.

I'll let you know if I have questions about any of the remaining problems, and I'll post the next five answers as soon as I have them.

Thanks,

Ryan

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Here are the next five:

6. C. There is not sufficient evidence to support the claim that the true proportion if greater than 32 percent.

7. C. Reject H0 if test statistic > 2.575 or < -2.575

8. C. Reject H0 if test statistic > 1.28

9. A. Reject H0 is test statistic < -2.33

10. A. -11.71

Thanks,

Ryan
Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.
Hi again,

Here are the remaining solutions:

11. C. -1.740

12. C. Normal distribution

13. B. Neither

14. B. -0.57

15. B. -0.97

As always, please feel free to ask if you have questions about any of these solutions.

Thanks,

Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Experience: B.S. in Civil Engineering
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much for your help.

This has been the hardest class ever for me. I did not do to well in the last 2 tests. This really helped me. One more week to go, please be available next week.

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

You're quite welcome. I'm very happy that I could help.

I'll be happy to help you next week. I'm usually online most of every day. (And just saying that has probably jinxed us...Undecided) If you have a particular time and day in mind, feel free to let me know. I can try to be sure to be online at that time.

Thanks,

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lets shoot for Wednesday in the evening, I normally get home around 6:30 pm. Thanks again and good night!

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok. I'll set a reminder for myself.

One question though. 6:30 pm in which time zone?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, its East Cost Standard Time.

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, no problem. See you then.

And don't worry about it if life gets in the way and that time doesn't work out. I'm usually online all day anyway, so it won't be a big deal for me. The real purpose in setting the appointment is to make it convenient for you. Smile

Have a good night.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks again Ryan, this is definitely an acquired class and one best fit for the class room vs. on line. But that wasn’t an option for me this time around.

Life is definitely busy working full time, school full time, planning my June wedding, caring for my son and now expecting our new bundle in September. Thanks for helping. It is soooooooo appreciated!

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Oh wow, you've definitely got your hands full! Congratulations, on both counts! Laughing

I wish you and your new family all the best.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks!

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.
You're very welcome.

See you next Wednesday.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Good evening Ryan,

I was checking to see if you were on line and available to assist?

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I'm available. Ready when you are.

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?59of08naegtkvtc

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I got this file too.

Which one of these do you want me to work on first?

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They should be the same, 25 questions.

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, gotcha. I hadn't had a change to look at them closely yet. I'll post the answers as soon as possible.

Do you want them all at once, or would you like them in smaller sets so that you can be entering some of them while I work on the others?

Thanks,

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Smaller sets would be great, thanks!

Expert:  Ryan replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll post them in sets of 5.

Just so you know, I'm going to post them in the other thread that you opened, since you have already rated an answer in this thread. JustAnswer prefers to keep questions in separate threads, so this will help keep me out of their doghouse.

I'll have the first five for you shortly.

Thanks,

Ryan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll close this one.