Sandhya_sharma
Sandhya_sharma, Master's Degree
Experience:  I hold M.Sc and M.Phil degrees in math and have several years of teaching experience.
14910578

Trainees must complete a specific task in less than 2 minutes.

Trainees must complete a specific task in less than 2 minutes. Consider the probability density function below for the time it takes a trainee to complete the task.

f(x) = 0.92 - 0.42x 0 < x < 2

1) What is the probability a trainee will complete the task in less than 1.34 minutes? Give your answer to four decimal places.
2)What is the probability that a trainee will complete the task in more than 1.34 minutes? Give your answer to four decimal places.
3)What is the probability it will take a trainee between 0.58 minutes and 1.34 minutes to complete the task? Give your answer to four decimal places.
4)What is the expected time it will take a trainee to complete the task? Give your answer to four decimal places.
5)If X represents the time it takes to complete the task, what is E(X^2) ? Give your answer to four decimal places.
6)If X represents the time it takes to complete the task, what is Var(X)? Give your answer to four decimal places.
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  Sandhya_sharma replied 2 years ago.

I am working on this question. I will send answer ASAP.

Thanks

∫(limit from 0 to 1.34) (0.92 - 0.42x) dx
= [0.92x - 0.21x^2] (limit from 0 to 1.34)
= 0.8557
Answer: 0.8557

2) What is the probability that a trainee will complete the task in more than 1.34 minutes? Give your answer to four decimal places.
Probability that a trainee will complete the task in more than 1.34 minutes = 1 – 0.8557 = 0.1443

Answer: 0.1443

∫(limit from 0.58 to 1.34) (0.92 - 0.42x) dx
= [0.92x - 0.21x^2] (limit from 0.58 to 1.34)
=0.3928

Answer: 0.3928

∫(limit from 0 to 2) x(0.92 - 0.42x) dx

= [0.46x^2 – 0.14x^3] (limit from 0 to 2)

= 0.7200

Answer: 0.7200

∫(limit from 0 to 2) x^2(0.92 - 0.42x) dx

= [0.92x^3/3 – 0.21x^4/2] (limit from 0 to 2)

= 0.7733

Answer: 0.7733

Var(X) = E(X^2) – (E(X))^2

= 0.7733 – 0.72^2

= 0.2549

Answer: 0.2549
Sandhya_sharma, Master's Degree
Experience: I hold M.Sc and M.Phil degrees in math and have several years of teaching experience.