SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience:  Tutor for Algebra, Geometry, Statistics. Explaining math in plain English.

1. Using the MM207 Student Data Set: a) What is the correlation

1. Using the MM207 Student Data Set:

a) What is the correlation between student cumulative GPA and the number of hours spent on school work each week? Be sure to include the computations or StatCrunch output to support your answer.

Correlation between Q10 What is your cumulative Grade Point Average at Kaplan University? and Q11 How many hours do you spend on school work each week? is: 0.27817234

b) Is the correlation what you expected? No, I expected the correlation to be higher than it is, obviously, the more time you spend studying or working on school work, the higher your grades will most likely be.

c) Does the number of hours spent on school work have a causal relationship with the GPA? Yes, I would say that the number of hours spent on school work does have a casual relationship with a students GPA, since the more you study, the higher your grades will be, most likely.

d) What would be the predicted GPA for a student who spends 16 hours per week on school work? Be sure to include the computations or StatCrunch output to support your prediction.

Simple linear regression results:
Dependent Variable: Q11 How many hours do you spend on school work each week?
Independent Variable: Q10 What is your cumulative Grade Point Average at Kaplan University?
Q11 How many hours do you spend on school work each week? = 5.5069933 + 3.300169
Q10 What is your cumulative Grade Point Average at Kaplan University?
Sample size: 170
R (correlation coefficient) = 0.2782
R-sq = 0.07737985
Estimate of error standard deviation: 8.758118

Parameter estimates:
Parameter Estimate Std. Err. Alternative DF T-Stat P-Value
Intercept 5.5069933 3.1682987 ≠ 0 168 1.7381548 0.084
Slope 3.300169 0.8791825 ≠ 0 168 3.7536788 0.0002

Analysis of variance table for regression model:
Source DF SS MS F-stat P-value
Model 1 1080.7762 1080.7762 14.090105 0.0002
Error 168 12886.377 76.70462
Total 169 13967.153

2. Using the MM207 Student Data Set:
a) Select a continuous variable that you suspect would not follow a normal distribution.
b) Create a graph for the variable you have selected to show its distribution.
c) Explain why these data might not be normally distributed.
d) Select a second continuous variable that you believe would approximate a normal distribution
e) Create a graph to show its distribution.
f) Explain why these data might be normally distributed.
.

3. Jonathan is a 42 year old male student and Mary is a 37 year old female student thinking about taking this class. Based on their relative position, which student would be farther away from the average age of their gender group based on this sample of MM207 students?

4. If you were to randomly select a student from the set of students who have completed the survey, what is the probability that you would select a male? Explain your answer.

Total number of students divided by the number of males in the class: 175/35= .02 is the probability that you would select a male student. Total number of students divided by the number of males in the class.

5. Using the sample of MM207 students:
a) What is the probability of randomly selecting a person who is conservative and then selecting from that group someone who is a nursing major?
b) What is the probability of randomly selecting a liberal or a male?

6. Facebook reports that the average number of Facebook friends worldwide is 175.5 with a standard deviation of 90.57. If you were to take a sample of 25 students, what is the probability that the mean number Facebook friends in the sample will be 190 friends or more?

7. Select a random sample of 35 student responses to question 6, "How many credit hours are you taking this term?" Using the information from this sample, and assuming that our data set is a random sample of all Kaplan statistics students, estimate the average number of credit hours that all Kaplan statistics students are taking this term using a 95% level of confidence. Be sure to show the data from your sample and the data to support your estimate.

8. Assume that the MM207 Student Data Set is a random sample of all Kaplan students; estimate the proportion of all Kaplan students who are male using a 90% level of confidence.

9. Assume you want to estimate with the proportion of students who commute less than 5 miles to work within 2%, what sample size would you need?
64 students

10. A professor at Kaplan University claims that the average age of all Kaplan students is 36 years old. Use a 95% confidence interval to test the professor's claim. Is the professor's claim reasonable or not? Explain.

http://statcrunch.pearsoncmg.com/statcrunch/bbt_bsr3e_kaplan/dataset/index02.html
Category: Calculus and Above
Expert:  SusanAthena replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Welcome to JA and thanks for your question! I can assist with this. However, you'll need to post the dataset required. The link you've given is passworded. Please do not post a password XXXXX You can download the data and post it to a site like mediafire.com.

I can provide model answers for you, but I don't have access to StatCrunch software, so I can provide by-hand computation and/or Excel output.

Please let me know if that would be useful. I can have your answers by tomorrow morning if you post the data today.

Kind regards,
Susan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Did you receive my response?

I cannot tell if it went through or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Excel will be fine, how can I get the excel file to you? I downloaded the information from statcrunch to excel.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I've got the file and I'm having a look at it now.
Thank you for your question!

Your answers are here.

Kind regards,
Susan
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Experience: Tutor for Algebra, Geometry, Statistics. Explaining math in plain English.
Hi, just checking in to see how your statistics class is going and if you need additional assistance. Remember that I'm here to help if you need it.