sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

The Gear shifter is stiff to move on my 1999 Cadillac

Customer Question

The Gear shifter is stiff to move on my 1999 Cadillac Deville. What is the problem ??
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: I don't know
JA: Are you fixing your DeVille yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: NO I am not . I am trying to trouble shoot the problem
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car will function in every gear. It is stiff to move from gear to gear.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The problem could be with the shifter itself or an internal problem in the transmission but it's much more likely to be the shift cable. What should be done is remove the cable at the trans and see if the shifter is still hard to move. If so then the cable can be removed at the shifter, if the shifter then moves normally then the cable can be condemned.

I hope that helps! My goal is your satisfaction today. If you feel I've been professional and helpful, your 5-star rating at this time is most appreciated. However, if you still need my help you can reply back here and I'll respond as soon as possible! Thank you!