Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

07 cadillac escalade. car will not shut engine down. you can

Customer Question

07 cadillac escalade. car will not shut engine down. you can take the key out and the fuel pump spark etc stays going, alll dash lights go off. somtimes it works sometimes not. and somtimes the cel stays on car off key out. i replaced the bcm and ignition switch modual. still nothing. checked ecu connections, switch run/start relay.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: sray on
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: this is a napa autocare center asking you these questions, and i just gave you the whole speel
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: thats it
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 2 months ago.

Ho there. I am Cam.

Do you have anything aftermarket wired in?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No

Ok, this may just be a sticking relay. Try tapping on the relays in the fuse block under the hood with the engine running and key off. If tapping makes it stop. replace that relay.
If this doe snot change it, then we need to start looking for water intrusion in the fuse blocks, chaffed wiring and such as well. Its likely just a wire touching somewhere. Normally the issue is in the fuse block under the dash by the drivers left foot. A common point to add wiring for ignition and battery are side by side, but the terminals often touch and cause this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I've swapped known relays in the engine compartment fuse box. And hit them and moved wires around. Makes no difference.

Check wiring on the end dash fuse block as well please.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Doing it now. Will get right back to you

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wires look good. Moved them all around while the key was off engine running also. Here's codes I got. I also swapped bcm with a know Good one. Didn't Make a difference so I put the old back in. But it is popping allot of codes

You will need to start pulling fuses to see which makes it stop. That will help narrow down what circuit is causing this issue.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Bcm
B1440. History
B1516 history
B2645. History
U0198. History
U0214. Power up

Many of the codes will be set because of the BCM not being programmed to your vehicle.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Please read my messages. I put the used to in. Didn't make a difference. Swapped the old one back in. Those codes history is only a couple key cycles. If you dont have an idea of what to do or where to send me then just tell me you don't know so we don't waste mine and your time
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The ecu is what is not shutting off. So in between the ignition switch and that is there problem somewhere

The ECU is not shutting off, we know that. The issue is one of the power feeds normally meant for ignition power is getting battery power, through either a shorted wire directly to that, or possibly the ground control for the relays grounded.
At this exact moment I don't know where the issue is, I would need to do more diagnosis to find it which I am trying to get you to do. Pulling fuses will help narrow down which circuit is the issue. There may be more than one.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok ill start to pull to see what does what

Any luck?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pulling it into shop to morrow