Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

2004 Cadillac DHS with 54,000 miles every thing was working

Customer Question

2004 Cadillac DHS with 54,000 miles every thing was working but when I went to start the vehicle it wouldn't turn over is it the starter or could it be the starter relay?
JA: How many miles are on the car? Has the car been starting normally?
Customer: 54,000 and has always started , the battery is fully charged but for some unknown reason the radio quite working the day before, I don't know if there is any connection
JA: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I would only try to fix it if it's simple, so far I only made sure the battery was fully charged
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. Question... when you turn the key, what happens? Clicking, winding, nothing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Just clicking
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Okay, so a few things could be the issue. You could have a bad connection. For this I would check for corrosion or looseness of the connectors for power and grounds of the battery and the starter. If they all check out, I would advise you to replace the starter. If the clicking is actually coming from the starter, that means that the signal has traveled past the relay, so you could eliminate the relay.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has a single click each time not multiple
Expert:  Todd M replied 2 months ago.

Okay, so we are going to eliminate the relay and You I believe that you have a bad start and need to replace it. Before you replace it, check for loose connections. If your connections all good, replace the starter.