sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Main key would not open door...same key would open trunk

Customer Question

Main key would not open door...same key would open trunk fine.....tumbler or something in the Drivers's side door was preventing unlocking car....remember there is only 1 key slot on the drivers' side on a 2000 Caddy DTS....once police came out and pried the door to push the inside power button, the same key started the car but would still not allow tumbler to open door from outside
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: NO we haven,t.....before I loose you, let me go try that real quick...please stand by
JA: Are you fixing your DTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, I am owner......police was called, wedged the top of the door and inserted a pump and was then able to reach with a long still metal rod to reach the inside power door un-lock located just above the door open handle
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I'll go now and try straying WD40 into the lock opening and see if that has an effect....please stand by a moment
Submitted: 18 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 17 days ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you're unable to turn the key in the door lock cylinder only then there are a few things that could be the cause.

It could be the key itself. If it's undamaged and not excessively worn then that shouldn't be the issue.

It could be the latch. It's possible that the latch has failed in a way that the linkage from the lock cylinder cannot move.

The most likely cause would be a stuck tumbler in the lock cylinder which would require replacement of the lock cylinder.