Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics
18617752

P0446 code, replaced canister check engine light will not go

Customer Question

P0446 code, replaced canister check engine light will not go out even disconnected battery
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: Stay on
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2004 Escalade EXT
JA: Are you fixing your Escalade EXT yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Myself. Ok here is the story Check engine l ight came on P0446 code, blew dirt out of canister replaced it unhooked battery. All was good one week later check engine light came back on P0446 ccde so I purchased new canister replaced it unhooked battery to reset light check engine light has never been out again. Same code now.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: That is all
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! Welcome to JustAnswer. Thanks for coming! I'm Ron and I'll be working with you on your question today.

Do you happen to have access to a scan-tool that can interact with EVAP system components?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No don't think so
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
typing works right know
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. More commonly with the P0446 is a faulty EVAP Vent Solenoid or Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor. Unfortunately, the test to determine which is faulty requires a scan-tool. In my experience though, P0446 is more commonly the Vent Solenoid. So, this may be the better place to start. The Vent Solenoid is located on the driver's side frame rail. Inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the lines for any cracks, holes or disconnections. If the inspection checks ok, I'd recommend replacing the Vent Solenoid. For an image location view, click here: https://goo.gl/wV9xdQ

Please remember to leave a rating using the 'stars' or click 'Accept'. A 5-star rating is much appreciated! Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That is what I have replaced already
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Above you stated the EVAP Canister. Did you replace both?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Ok. Then the Fuel Tank Pressure Sensor is the next item that can set this code. It's located at the top of the fuel tank, mounted to the top of the fuel pump assembly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
do you have a pic diagram?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Unfortunately, I do not. It has a 3-wire connector going to it; black, dark green and grey. To gain access, the fuel tank will need to be lowered.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That don't do me any good
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

You can't miss it. It's mounted to the top of the fuel pump assembly. I can give you a picture of the sensor here: https://goo.gl/j52lVu

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
That file isn't there anymore
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

My apologies. View the image here: https://goo.gl/vRXeFn

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Did the image display for you that time?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hi! I noticed this thread was still open, so I wanted to check in and see if there was anything else I could do for you on this issue? Any other questions you had? Was there something you wanted addressed that I may have missed in my answer? Did you find my answer helpful?

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 6 months ago.

..