Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

I need help with bleeding my breaks on my 2005 Cadillac STS,

Customer Question

I need help with bleeding my breaks on my 2005 Cadillac STS, I don't have any sophisticated equipment so far I got just a very little petal. I had to change some of the front break lines so I must bleed them.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Bleeding the brakes should not be a complicated task. Just open the bleeders on the front brake lines, remove the cap from the master cylinder and let the fluid drip. This is called gravity bleeding. Do this until you have a small puddle of fluid under each caliper. Then close the bleeders and bleed one side at a time.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Bleed each side until there is no more air that comes out. Also, be sure that the master cylinder reserviour is full before bleeding the brakes.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
When each wheel is bleed do I then start engine and bleed again by pumping up petal and open valve allowing petal to go to floor and shutting off valve?
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You would leave the engine off when bleeding the brakes. Bleed both sides and then you can start the engine to see if the brake pedal is nice and firm.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok I understand, we tried bleeding each wheel by pumping up and open valve to get air out and it didn't work, so your saying gravity bleeding is better. I will try.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

Your welcome.

Try gravity bleeding them first. I would do this for about 20 minutes and then try bleeding them with the brake pedal. That should do the trick.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks
Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Also, if you are a member or if you have a subscription to the site, you still need to rate my answer in order for me to get credit for assisting you with your question.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Expert:  Amedee replied 1 month ago.

You should see the rating system towards the top of the page.