sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Cadillac CTS New Key Fob Keyless Entry Not Working.

Customer Question

Got a new key fob for keyless entry to the 2008 Cadillac CTS. It does not have an ignition key, just a turn knob. I followed the instructions in the manual to program it, but as I scroll through the menu on the display every option comes up EXCEPT the PRESS TO RELEARN REMOTE KEY function. That option is not there, it just goes to the blank screen after the compass sector option.
It turns just fine to the on position which is required to access the display.
What can be done?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The procedure you're referring to is for a key fob used only for a keyless entry-only system which is why the option isn't in the instrument cluster. With the keyless starting system on your vehicle a dealer scan tool is required to reprogram a replacement fob.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I have to spend $45.00 to have it programmed!
Not your fault, but it chaps my hide.

I apologize I was unable to bring better news but unfortunately that's how the system is designed to operate for your safety. If a replacement key could be programmed at will using the instrument cluster then anyone could purchase a key, program it to your vehicle and then steal it.