Chris (aka- Moose), Cadillac Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Trunk lid pull down non-operational, no - but I have both in

Customer Question

trunk lid pull down non-operational
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: no - but I have both in my garage
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 1999 eldorado etc
JA: Are you fixing your Eldorado yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I want to fix it myself so that i can drive to an A/C facility to get a repair estimate for the non-op airconditioning
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no - thank you
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 20 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I will be available after 1800 today, Friday 18th Nov.

Will the trunk close, latch, but just not cinch down?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Hi Chris, are you available now to address my Cadillac problem?
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Chris -
Please let me know by phone, text or email, when you will be available to help with the problem.Bessel
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 18 days ago.

I responded yesterday with "Will the trunk close, latch, but just not cinch down?" can you respond to that?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Not sure what you mean by "cinch". I assume it is when the latch engages and pulls the trunk down. The symptoms are; although the upper latch appears to work when I press the 'release trunk' button on the key, it does not engage the lower latch at all. The lower latch does not respond at all and appears to be stationary in the pulled-down position.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I paid $26 ($5 + $21) yesterday

Thanks, ***** ***** your wire diagram. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/trunkpulldown.pdf

At the pull down motor can you verify power and ground on the orange and black wires?

Can you ohm test the red wire to verify it is ground with the lid latch switch closed?

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Thank you - will have to follow up on it tomorrow - Sunday

Super

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Chris - I will be happy to provide a positive rating once the problem is resolved. I know my pace is slow but although I enjoy I do fixing things but do not always get sufficient continuous time to finish the jo promptly. I have the two-volume workshop manual for the vehicle, as well as the 3 circuit diagrams you sent.. On page 8A -135-2 of volume 2 it sates "connect a test lamp between terminal "A" (ORN/LK) and "D" (BLK) - DOES THE TEST LAMP LIGHT?" IF YES Check trunk lik pull-down and connector for proper terminal contact.- if OK - replace Trunk Pull-down actuator. I did the test by removing the connector strip to the Actuator and got 13+ volts between the orange and black pins, the black being the earth; did same with test light and it lit. So I removed the actuator assy with the attached lack electrical receiver the strip pins plug into and took to an AC Delco store. The whole assembly is $283 but if the electrical 'receiver' is OK and can be removed and transferred to a new Actuator, the cost comes down to $90. My question is, am I on the right track and how can I test the electrical part of the assembly?
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
After thought; if it is certain that the problem is with the actuator assy, is it feasible to buy new actuator assembly and connect it to the existing electrical 'receiver' and if this does not work, buy a new electrical receiver and connect it to the new actuator assy?
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 16 days ago.

Yes you can purchase just the part you find wrong and mount it to the other remaining good parts.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I separated the electrical supply module from the actuator/motor assy; tested the electrical supply module and it had about 6.5 volts at the pins where it connects to the actuator; so I concluded that it is probably OK. I put 12 volts directly on the the Actuator assy but there was no reaction at all. I really do not know for sure what I am doing but I concluded that the actuator assy is at fault and ordered a new one on eBay for $81 - estimated delivery is Nov. 30th. Once the trunk lock is fixed, I will move on to the A/C, which is not working. I have had this car for 15 years and always gave it to the dealership to fix the many problems it has had during this time but cannot afford to do that now, so it is down to me, with your help.......
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for the update. This post is set to time out and close on the 24th