Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

My rear passenger window will not roll up, 2009 cadillac

Customer Question

My rear passenger window will not roll up
JA: What is the model/year of your Cadillac?
Customer: 2009 cadillac cts
JA: Are you fixing your CTS yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yessgt I would like to..... So far the window rolled up but then back down on its own. When I use the switch to try to make it go back up I can here a click but nothing happens
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: I can hear the click coming for the door that the window is down. It been happening for about 2 weeks now
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that is all.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help get your problem solved.

Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Considering you hear a click that would most likely mean the window motor has failed. Is this something you would be replacing yourself? If so I can give you replacement instructions and tell you how to test. If not, it will be around a $300 job to have done at a shop. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok even if my window rolled up 5 minutes ago?
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Yes, usually when they stop working it is all at once but the only way to know for sure is to test. There isn't any type of simple reset procedure that would cause this and fact it clicks tells us the wiring/switch are good. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Ok so do you think my best bet is to take it to a mechanic?
Expert:  Dan replied 23 days ago.

Definitely unless you want to do the work yourself I can upload instructions, otherwise there is no way around bringing it to mechanic. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.