Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE certified Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2004 escapade won't start. No clicking of solenoid. Battery

Customer Question

2004 escapade won't start. No clicking of solenoid. Battery good
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Solenoids appear to be clicking. One in the fuse box area and another at the front right hand side of the motor
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Are you looking for possible causes or would you like me to walk you through this diagnoses?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Diagnose the issue
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Need to know if it is the starter or not
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

NO problem. I will be happy to help.

Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

You will need to start by checking for battery voltage on both the BIG and SMALL terminal at the starter with the key in the CRANK position. If FULL battery voltage is present with the key in the CRANK or START position and the starter motor is not activating, the starter motor is bad and will need to be replaced.

I am glad I can help!

It has been a pleasure working with you. Please dont forget to honor your good faith deposit by rating my answer as "5 STAR SERVICE" for assisting you today.

Keep in mind, we can still continue this conversation at no further cost to you even after you rate my answer. Just reply back to me using this page and I will get it and get back to you ASAP!

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
How long is this going to take
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

TO check for voltage at the starter, it is not too hard. Once you gain access to the computer, it only takes about 3 or 4 minutes..

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Already told you the battery is good. how to check for voltage at the starter. Is it difficult to get probes on it.
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Would you like a picture of the location of the starter?

Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Here is a picture of the starter. You gain access from underneath. It is not hard to gain access to the starter wires and check for voltage going to the starter.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I know where it is just wondering how I get a voltmeter on it. Is there anything else that could be preventing it from starting. It started went a quarter mile I shut it down and 3 mins after that would not start. Weather has turned cold here 35 degrees
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Anything in the starting circuit can prevent the starter from getting power if it malfunctions. That is whay it is important to check this before replacing any components.

The red lead goes on the starter wires one at a time and the black lead of the voltmeter goes on battery ground in order to take a reading.

Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Did you have any further questions sir?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Can you send the picture of the starter and the terminals
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

I did.. do you see the link?

Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

I am glad I can help!

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
No voltage voltage on the light lead to the solenoid. Main lead has power.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Do you have the wiring diagram for the starting circuit
Expert:  Amedee replied 24 days ago.

Hello and sorry for the delay!

YES, I do have a wiring diagram of the starting circuit. I have attached it below.