Jake Cheek
Jake Cheek,
Experience:  Automotive Technician at Hendrick Chevrolet
96914122

My 2002 Escalde dose not start after stop for fuel. wait for

Customer Question

my 2002 Escalde dose not start after stop for fuel. wait for 5 mins and try to restart it does not, wait for another 5, and it start. This had been an issue for years. I just change batt and stater.
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: yes, same as usual when it start. like i said, it been for year, now i am tie of it , what is the solution for permanent fix?
JA: What year is your MINI?
Customer: 2002
JA: Are you fixing your MINI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: what do you mean about MINI ?
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: what is MINI ?
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 26 days ago.

Hi my name is***** do you have a check engine light on? If so, we may need the codes stored to be certain of the issue.

I believe you may have an evaporative emissions issue. I suspect the purge valve is stuck open it is sending fuel vapors into the engine potentially "flooding" it during refueling.

To test this, next time you refuel, start the vehicle with the accelerator pedal fully depressed. This will turn the fuel injectors off allowing the engine to start on the fuel vapors instead of added fuel in addition to the vapor from refueling.

If it starts correctly and you do not have to let it sit, you will need a new EVAP purge valve.

Let me know how it does and if you have check engine codes. Local auto parts stores will usually check them for you for free.

Expert:  Jake Cheek replied 25 days ago.

Have you been able to perform the start up test? Let me know if you need further assistance.